JACKSON, Miss. – A house on Raymond Road is heavily damaged by an early morning fire.
Homeowner, Phil Mitchell, woke up to find everything he owned up in flames.
“I smelled smoke in the back room, the room I was in,” he said. I got up and went to the kitchen, the kitchen was smoky. I opened the car port door, fire was coming out of the attic. And the carport fell on my truck.”
His daughter and 14-year-old granddaughter were able to get out safely, but their pet was still inside.
“I realized my dog, she was still in the house, and my neighbor, we told him she was still in he house,” said Riley Cheatham, Mitchell’s granddaughter. “He went and busted the two windows out and we were calling her and we finally got her to come after moving some stuff out of the way. And I grabbed her.”
Mitchell said there’s a chance that he will rebuild his home.