It took over an hour but now the fire is completely put out. The smell of smoke was still very strong and pieces of the apartments roof are scattered across the grass.
Someone who lives in this complex gave us cell phone video of what the fire looked like earlier this afternoon.
The Richland Fire Department Chief Von Brown said this fire started around three this afternoon and all eight units are destroyed. However, we’re told all seven families are safe, even the pets.
Ashante Kelly says she just moved into this building with her mom and her baby last month. Her home was destroyed. She said:
Kelly also told me that it’s her baby’s first birthday next week and all her presents were destroyed in that fire.
Chief Brown said the fire started because of a grease fire on the stove.
The building didn’t have a sprinkler system.
Several of the people were displaced, and have been put in vacant units in the complex and at another apartment in Florence.