Squirrel to Blame for Raymond Grass Fire

Raymond, Miss – Raymond firefighters put out a grass fire before noon Friday on Highway 18 at Seven Springs Road. Assistant Fire Chief Joey Jamison says it was a squirrel that started the fire. Jamison showed WJTV the squirrel, which was found after the fire was put out, “It is a little strange but kind of common. Squirrels can cause lots of power outages.”

Jamison says the squirrel likely touched a power line and something else and was electrocuted. That caused power to go out in Raymond and at Hinds Community College. Jarvis Loftin is a student at HCC, “The power went out and usually we use power points so we had no class. I mean God is good.”

Jamison says the grassfire is no laughing matter because Hinds County, like many other surrounding counties, is under a burn ban, “Please don’t burn. No outside burning. You can grill but if you grill please make sure you’re letting your grill cool down. Dispose of coals properly but no outside fires right now.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s