Chicago officer charged in killing of black teen

FILE - In this Aug. 21, 2014, file photo, Illinois Attorney Gen. Lisa Madigan speaks during a news conference in Chicago. The Illinois Attorney General's Office is asking the Chicago Police Department In a letter released Wednesday Nov. 18, 2015, to release the video that shows an officer fatally shooting a black teenager last year. A Cook County judge is expected to rule on a Freedom of Information request tomorrow. The video has been of intense interest after it was revealed that the officer shot McDonald 16 times. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green, File)

A white Chicago police officer has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting a black teenager.

Charges announced Tuesday come as the city prepares to release a squad-car video of Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times on Oct. 20, 2014.

The state’s attorney’s office said in a news release that Van Dyke has been charged with first degree murder.

People who have seen the video say it shows McDonald armed with a small knife and walking away from officers. Van Dyke opens fire from about 15 feet and keeps shooting after the teen falls to the ground.

An autopsy says he was shot at least twice in the back.

Some worry the images could lead to unrest as in Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri, after police-involved deaths.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s