The fire started on the front porch of the Sims House and moved to the attic. The front office and parts of the attic are damaged.
There were four women and three children residing at the Sims House at the time of the fire according to Heather Ivery, the Director of Business Administration for Stewpot Community Services.
The families’ belongings were not damaged in the fire.
The families have since been moved to the Flower House shelter.
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The Jackson Fire Department is responding to a house fire on West Capitol Street.
The fire is at the Stewpot Sims House according to Cleotha Sanders, a Division Fire Chief with the Jackson Fire Department.
The Sims House is a transitional shelter for women and their children.
No injuries have been reported at this time.
This is a developing story.
Please stay with WHTV as more information becomes available.