Carson says no path forward after Super Tuesday

Ben Carson
FILE - In this Aug. 18, 2015 file photo, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson delivers a speech to supporters in Phoenix. Some leading Republican presidential candidates seem to view Muslims as fair game for increasingly harsh words they might not dare use against any other group for fear of the political cost. So far, that strategy is winning support from conservatives influential in picking the nominee. Carson said allowing Syrian refugees into the U.S. would be akin to exposing a neighborhood to a “rabid dog.” (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin, File)

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is effectively ending his campaign after a poor finish across the Super Tuesday primaries.

Carson says in a statement Wednesday that he sees “no path forward” to the nomination and says he will not attend Thursday’s GOP debate in Michigan.

Armstrong Williams, Carson’s longtime business manager, tells the Associated Press it’s “just the reality” that “there’s only one candidate in this 2016 election on the GOP side, and his name is (Donald) Trump.”

Williams adds that Sens. Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz also “have no path” and should drop out.

It was not immediately clear whether Carson will officially suspend his campaign, but Williams says he no longer will actively seek votes.

Another Carson aide, Larry Ross, said Carson will offer “more details” when he speaks Friday at the CPAC gathering, an annual conservative confab.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s