PEARL, Miss. (WJTV) – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) received 41 storm reports from counties across the state because of the severe weather that hit state earlier in the week.
At this time, no injuries or deaths have been reported.
However, two Claiborne County fishermen are still missing.
The National Weather Service (NWS) says flooding is a possibility for northwest, south and coastal Mississippi through the weekend.
The following nine shelters are open throughout the state for Mississippians who have or will be misplaced by the severe weather:
- Bolivar County: Mound Bayou Community Center.
- Madison County: Priestly Chapel MB Church in Canton.
- Washington County: County Convention Center in Greenville.
- Coahoma County: Clarksdale Civic Center.
- Forrest County: 361 Shelter in Hattiesburg.
- Jones County: 361 Shelter in Laurel.
- Pearl River County: 361 Shelter in Picayune.
- Clarke County: Shubuta Volunteer Fire Dept.
- Marion County: Springhill Baptist Church in Sandy Hook (Independent Shelter).
Below is a list of the storm damage by county.
- Bolivar: Several homes flooded. Several roads closed due to flooding and two roads closed due to damage. Requesting 5K sandbags; MEMA Logistics coordinating.
- Claiborne: Two fishermen are missing on the Mississippi River. Roads closed due to flooding.
- Clarke: County EMA building flooded, two homes and 25 roads affected in Quitman.
- Coahoma: 70 homes and one business with major damage.
- DeSoto: 12 houses flooded/inaccessible, 2 swift water rescues, 9 roads closed.
- Forrest: 11 homes affected, three roads closed.
- Greene: Flash flooding.
- Harrison: Sandbags available and shelters on stand-by.
- Hancock: Sandbags distributed and shelters on stand-by.
- Hinds: Five homes affected and five roads closed due to flooding.
- Jackson: Sandbagging and shelters on stand-by.
- Jefferson Davis: Flash flooding of roads and house fire due to lightning.
- Jones: 20 homes with major damage and two businesses minor damage.
- Lamar: Widespread flash flooding.
- Lawrence: Several roads flooded.
- Leake: Widespread flash flooding, several roads damaged.
- Lincoln: Several roads closed due to flooding.
- Marion: 25 homes and 35 roads affected by flooding.
- Madison: Several roads affected by flash flooding.
- Marshall: Flooding in the Barton and North Red Banks areas. A few homes are affected due to roads being inaccessible. Eight people displaced. Five roads closed due to flooding.
- Panola: 45 homes and 25 roads affected, one levee breach.
- Pearl River: 15 homes affected, 30 roads closed.
- Perry: Roads flooded and damaged.
- Pike: Swift water rescues, numerous roads, culverts and bridges washed out.
- Quitman: 45 homes affected and 15 roads closed due to flooding.
- Rankin: Flash flooding of roads.
- Simpson: Flash flooding.
- Smith: One home major damage due to EF-0 tornado in Raleigh. Major fire extinguished at the Georgia Pacific particleboard facility in Taylorsville.
- Sunflower: Inverness Elementary School has major roof damage. Damage to a home in Inverness due to a tree falling. Five homes in Indianola at risk of flooding, with sandbagging operations ongoing 10-12 homes in city of Drew have flood damage.
- Tallahatchie: Three homes and five roads affected by flooding.
- Tate: Six homes and roads affected by flooding.
- Tunica: 98 homes and roads affected by flooding.
- Tallahatchie: Five roads closed due to flooding, three homes affected near Tutwiler.
- Tate: Three homes affected, eight residents displaced, water damage to county courthouse and administration building, 19 roads closed.
- Tunica: 59 homes damaged, 39 homes affected, roads damaged, 245 people displaced.
- Walthall: Swift water rescue, numerous roads flooded.
- Warren: One home and roads flooded, numerous trees down, landslide at Hwy 80 and Thorn Hill Dr.
- Washington: Approximately 100 people displaced, expecting numbers to climb (MDHS and Red Cross have been notified and are coordinating with County EMA).
- Wayne: Six apartments flooded, 11 roads damaged, one bridge destroyed and one non-profit major damage.
- Wilkinson: Mobile home damaged, flooding in northwest part of county.
- Yazoo: Minor road flooding in Yazoo City.
Also, here is a list of road closures by the Mississippi Department of Transportation because of severe weather:
- Bolivar County: MS 446 westbound at Shaw-Skene, road west of Boyle
- Claiborne County: US 61 northbound near the NatchezTrace south of Port Gibson (CLOSED)
- Clarke County:MS 512 at MS 18 (CLOSED)
- DeSoto County: US 61 one mile north of Star Landing, road in Walls (CLOSED, US 61 northbound at Star Landing Road (CLOSED)
- Forrest County: US 49 NB at Rawls Springs Road in Forrest County (CLOSED)
- Jones County: MS 588 west of the Leaf River Bridge.
- Lamar County: MS 589 at Black Creek (CLOSED)
- Madison County: MS 22 eastbound past Spring Creek, road west of Flora
- Marion County: MS 43 between SR 13 and Old River, road south to the Pearl River County line (CLOSED), MS 587 north of Foxworth
- Quitman County: MS 315 at MS 3 in Sledge
- Simpson County: SR 149 at Dabbs Creek
- Sunflower County: MS 32 at 1 mile east of US 49 West in both directions
- Tate County: US 51 at Coldwater Bridge (CLOSED)
- Walthall County: MS 35 at MDOT scale house near LA state line south of Columbia, MS 35 at 35 Diner south of Columbia, MS 48 at Walker’s Bridge at the Walthall/Pike County line, MS 27 northbound between Ginn Road and Dillons Bridge Road (CLOSED)
Warren County: MS 822 (Old Highway 80) approximately three miles west of MS 27 (CLOSED)