MORAGA (KRON) – 2,500 residents are without gas in Moraga Monday morning after a traffic pole fell into a sinkhole and ruptured a gas line, police said.
Crews are still working early in the morning to restore the gas line and repair the sinkhole that was first noticed at Center Street and Rheem Boulevard on Sunday around 2:30 p.m.
About 450 people were evacuated Sunday evening due to the gas leak.
Police cordoned off the area and realized the traffic signal pole might fall into the sinkhole, Acting Police Chief Jon King said.
As expected “the surface gave way and the pole dropped in” and ruptured what appears to be a 4-inch gas line, King said.
The smell of gas is heavy in the area. No one has been injured.
Customers from the Rheem Theater, 24 Hour Fitness and other businesses have been evacuated, according to police.
There is no estimated time when the scene will be cleared and the service will be restored. PG&E officials estimate that they will be working all day.
PG&E must enter homes to restore gas, so customers must be home. Customers can contact PG&E if they are not home when officials come by to restore power.