Manziel ordered to stay away from accuser in violence case

FILE - In this Dec. 6, 2015, file photo, Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel walks into the locker room after an NFL football game against the Cincinnati Bengals, in Cleveland. A person familiar with the decision says the Browns will start quarterback Johnny Manziel this week against San Francisco. Manziel lost his starting job because of off-field behavior, but will be back in the lineup against the 49ers, said the person who spoke Monday, Dec. 7, 2015, to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team has not announced the move. (AP Photo/David Richard, File)

DALLAS (AP) – A Dallas judge has ordered former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel to have no contact with the alleged victim in his domestic violence case.

Manziel was in court less than 15 minutes Thursday as Judge Roberto Canas set conditions for his release on $1,500 bond. Manziel cannot contact ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley, nor can he be in possession of any firearms.

The Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M was indicted last month after Crowley said he hit her and threatened to kill her in January.

No plea was entered, but defense attorney Robert Hinton says Manziel plans to plead not guilty.

The 23-year-old Manziel faces a misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. A status hearing was set for June 24.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s