(WJTV) — An insurance company said Mississippi is ranked No. 10 in deer collisions.
State Farm said new claims data shows the number of accidents with deer are higher this year than last year.
Over the past year more than 22,700 claims have occurred from deer collisions in Mississippi, which is a 1.1% increase from the previous year, according to State Farm. They months were drivers more frequently hit deer are November, October and December.
They also said the odds drivers will hit a deer in Mississippi are 1 out of 87. The national average is 1 in 164.
These tips could help drivers avoid a collision:
- Pay attention to deer crossing signs
- Always buckle up, every trip, every time
- Use your high beams, when possible, to see farther
- Brake if you can, but avoid swerving, which could result in a more severe crash
- Remain focused on the road, scanning for hazards, including animals
- Avoid distractions, like devices or eating, which might cause you to miss seeing an animal
- Do not rely on products such as deer whistles, which are not proven effective
- If riding a motorcycle, always wear protective gear and keep focus on the road ahead