JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – A retired school teacher dies after a fire starts inside her Jackson home.
Family members and neighbors remember her as a kind person that was always helping others.
‘She was the best grandma in the world, couldn’t get a better grandma. She was the greatest of all time.”
Eighty-six-year-old Albertredia Harris was found inside her home Friday night after it caught fire.
Grandson William Harper says he got the call from a neighbor that the house was on fire but when he got here it was too late.
“It’s unbelievable. It’s unrealistic. You think things like this will never happen to you. Just to see her laid out on that stretcher, my mind was going all different kind of ways,” said Harper.
“It’s an empty feeling. It’s a vague feeling. It’s still new and fresh. It just doesn’t seem for real,” said Ida Berry, a neighbor.
Harris lived in her home on Squire Lane for over 30 years.
Neighbors say they could always count on seeing her working in the yard.
“She worked in her yard and I worked in mine. She went a little further than me. She bought her a riding lawnmower and she would use that lawnmower herself,” said Berry.
“It was really encouraging to see someone of that age, with that energy. She projected in that yard,” said James Luckett, a neighbor.
Family members say she retired after working years for Jackson Public Schools.
“My grandma was actually my kindergarten teacher. She let me go to class with her when I was four. So the next year, I was already ready. She started at Casey Elementary. She was a retired school teacher and ended up retiring over at Calloway,” said Harper.
Harper says even though his grandmother is gone, he will continue to remember her fun, loving spirit.
“The main thing we did every year was go to the fair. We had plans to go to the fair this Thursday. I think I’ll still go in memory of her,” said Harper.
The Jackson Fire Department says the fire was accidental.
It started after the improper disposal of cigarettes.