JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – A family is left without a home after an early morning house fire in Jackson.
One of the family members said he ran to the fire station to get help.
“I’m glad the smoke detector was working. It had batteries; smoke detectors do save lives.”
Lonnie Brown was asleep when he said the smoke alarms woke him up early Monday morning.
When he got to the living room, it was on fire and filled with smoke.
“When I came out the bedroom, it was in the living room, in the couch area. It seemed like it had been burning for a while. We had that hardwood floor that helped it blaze on up,” said Brown.
There were five people in the house at the time.
Brown says he immediately went to wake everyone up and get them out the house.
“It wasn’t quite full of smoke, but, I was telling everybody to ‘get out, get out.’ When I opened that door, the air just made it, just started running,” said Brown.
Brown said he tried to put out the flames, but they got too big.
He then ran to the fire station down the street from his home to get help.
“It was just a matter of seconds. I went to the fire department. I left out of here running. By the time we got back down, another fire truck had beat us down here, but it was gone, coming out through the ceiling,” said Brown.
Crews worked to put out the flames, but everything inside the home was destroyed.
But Brown says he’s just glad the smoke detectors went off and he was able to get everyone out safe.
“I just thank God everybody got out safe. Material things can be replaced, but you cannot replace another person’s life,” said Brown.
Investigators say the fire was accidental.
It was started by smoking materials.