JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) — Firefighters went to the scene of a fire Monday morning on Moss Avenue.
Division Chief Cleotha Sanders of Jackson Fire Department said they arrived on the scene around 4:52 a.m.
When WJTV’s news crews arrived at the fire, firefighters were putting out hot spots.
According to the homeowner, five people were inside the home when the fire broke out.
The homeowner said he woke up after smoke detectors went off. He said that he went to wake everyone up to get them out of the house and when he opened the door the air made the flames worse.
He tells WJTV that he ran out of the house to the fire station down the road and told firefighters that his house was on fire. He could not call because he had left his phone inside the burning home.
He said he is grateful that the smoke detectors went off because it was the only thing that alerted him to the smoke and flames.
Sanders said investigators determined that the fire was accidental. It was started from smoking materials, he said.