Vatican, Argentine church to open ‘dirty war’ archives to victims

FILE PHOTO Pope Francis delivers his message during the Angelus prayer from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, Sunday, March 2, 2014. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
FILE PHOTO Pope Francis delivers his message during the Angelus prayer from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, Sunday, March 2, 2014. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

VATICAN CITY (AP) – The Vatican and Argentina’s Catholic Church say they have finished cataloguing their archives from the country’s brutal “dirty war” and will make them available to victims who have long accused the church of complicity with the military dictatorship.

A joint statement Tuesday said the process of cataloguing and digitalization had been completed and procedures for victims to access the information would be forthcoming. The statement said the decision to open the archives of the Vatican, its Buenos Aires embassy and the Argentine bishops’ conference was taken “in the service of truth, justice and peace.”

Pope Francis had pledged to open the archives when pressed by relatives of “desaparecidos” or disappeared, particularly the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo. He was the Jesuit superior in Argentina during the country’s 1976-1983 dictatorship.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s