JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) — Jackson Police want to keep you safe during your holiday shopping experience.
They department is gearing up for Operation Safe Shop.
The initiative will be in effect from Thanksgiving day through the end of the year.
Officers will be assigned to various shopping areas throughout the city, actively patrolling the parking areas with blue light activated
during business hours.
These are some tips that JPD said shoppers should follow:
- Do not leave items, purchased merchandise visible in your vehicles while shopping.
- Lock them in your trunk or take them home and return shopping.
- Make sure your vehicle is secured and not running.
- Do not leave an extra key (vehicle remote) in your vehicle.
- Stay alert of your surroundings.
- Avoid overloading yourself with bags or packages while walking to your vehicle.
- Avoid carrying loose cash, personal items in your hand. Utilize a smaller wallet/purse while shopping.
- Dress comfortably, avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- If shopping for large items and/or bulk shopping, do not shop alone. Bring someone along to help with items.
- Do not be distracted by cell phones while walking to and from your vehicle.
- Park in well illuminated areas.