Staying warm this winter: State Fire Marshal issues heating safety tips

JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) — The Commissioner of Insurance and State Fire Marshal Mike Chaney is reminds Mississippians to practice heating fire safety in every home.

When preparing for colder days and looking for ways to keep warm, Chaney says using heating equipment as it is intended greatly cuts the risk of a fire in your home.

Cold temperatures near the level of freezing are expected to hit Mississippi at the end of the week.

“Too many fires and fire deaths in Mississippi are caused by faulty heating equipment or people using ill-advised methods to stay warm,” Chaney said.

“As days get milder and nights grow cooler, many Mississippians, especially the elderly, who are more susceptible to the cold, are beginning to turn on and use space heaters,” Chaney said.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office recommends the following heating fire safety tips:

  • All heating equipment should be UL® approved and cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional prior to being used each year.
  • Always plug space heaters directly into outlets, not extension cords.
  • Remember to keep clothes, drapes, and anything else combustible at least 3 feet away from all heating equipment, especially space heaters.
  • Inspect the space heater’s power cord for damage, fraying or heat. If the cord inspection reveals any of these issues, the heater should be replaced. Proper cleaning is essential and should be done regularly.
  • Never use space heaters while you sleep or in areas where children may be without adult supervision.
  • Do not leave space heaters on when you are away from home.
  • Always unplug space heaters when they are not in use. The heater should also be equipped with a tip over shut-off switch.
  • Use only traditional heating equipment.
  • Never use a stove or oven to heat living spaces. Kerosene is a poor choice for heating as it will give off poisonous fumes.
  • Have chimney flues cleaned and inspected by qualified personnel.
  • Have a spark screen that is age appropriate for all individuals using any area to be heated by a fireplace.
  • Burn only approved materials in a fireplace or wood burning stove; never burn paper or trash in a fireplace or wood burning stove.
  • Should a fire break out in the home, have an emergency evacuation plan for the family to follow and have a designated meeting place for all family members. Once everyone is outside the burning home, call 911 and DO NOT RE-ENTER THE HOUSE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s