Robert E. Lee building evacuated due to electrical fire

JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) — Many people were sent home from the Robert E. Lee Buildng after a fire Tuesday morning.

According to the state fire marshal’s office, faulty wiring caused a motherboard inside of an electrical box to explode in the building.

Officials said the elevators stopped working and hazardous smoke was inside the building.

Twelve state agencies occupying the building were sent home while crews worked to repair the equipment.

According to the officials from the Robert E. Lee building, the electrical fire was in a heat sensing element. The cause of the small fire was a result of incorrect wiring attachments done by a private contractor. The

The offices and state agencies that closed were the Mississippi Department of Mental Health, the Board of Licensed Professional Counselors, the Board of Registration for Foresters, Office of Capitol Post Conviction Counsel, Offices of Information Technology Services, the Charter School Authorizer Board, the Office of State Public Defender and the Board of Cosmetology. Employees are expected to be back to work on Wednesday.

“The quick action of the Capitol Police today diverted what could have been much worse,” said Laura Jackson, Executive Director of the Department of Finance and Administration, the agency that oversees the maintenance of state-owned buildings. “We’re thankful the occupants responded immediately, and no one was hurt this morning.”

We’re told than more than 300 people work in the building. Some of the crisis hotline workers stayed, officials said.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s