UTICA, Miss. (WJTV) — The Town of Utica is under a boil water alert due to a major water leak.
Officials said the leak is on the Utica By-Pass Road. We’re told that this hause caused little to no water pressure for some residents in the area.
The low pressure affects about 500 customers in the Utica area.
Residents are advised to boil their water until the advisory is lifted.
Below are some tips from the Mississippi State Department of Health:
- Do not drink tap water.
- Do not use ice made from recent tap water.
- Do not use tap water to make drinks, juices, or fountain soft drinks.
- Cook with tap water ONLY if food is boiled for at least one minute.
- Wash dishes, fruits and vegetables in boiled water or water that has been disinfected with bleach. Using your home dishwasher is not recommended.
- Brush your teeth with boiled or bottled water.
- Wash your hands and bathe as usual. Bathing is safe as long as no water is swallowed.
- Wash laundry as usual. Laundry washed in hot or cold water is safe.
- Bring water to a rolling boil for 1 minute to kill most organisms.
- If you cannot boil your water, mix eight drops (1/8 teaspoon) of unscented, ordinary household chlorine bleach (5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite) per gallon of water. Mix the solution thoroughly, and let stand for about 30 minutes. (This treatment will kill bacteria, but not parasitic organisms.) If water is muddy or cloudy, remove sediment by straining it through a cloth or filter paper before disinfecting.
- Alternatively, water may be treated with chlorine or iodine tablets.
If you cannot boil your water, mix eight drops (1/8 teaspoon) of unscented, ordinary household chlorine bleach per gallon of water. Mix the solution thoroughly, and let stand for about 30 minutes before using.