RANKIN COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) — A mom and her 3-year-old child died in a house fire Friday morning.
The Rankin County Sheriff’s Department said they received the call about the fire on Joe Davis Road around 10 a.m.
The sheriff’s department said a neighbor reported hearing glass break and popping and discovered the fire. The neighbor helped a 58-year-old woman get out of the mobile home. She was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
When authorities arrived on the scene, the mobile home was fully engulfed in flames.
Deputies said they tried to enter the home, but they could not. Authorities said the homeowner came to the scene and said his wife and son were inside of the mobile home. The 32-year-old mother and her 3-year-old son died.
After the flames were extinguished, firefighters located them in a back bedroom.
Fire investigators are exploring the possibility of a faulty electrical circuit. The fire is under investigation.